Windows 7 support with native binaries?

Does anyone have a native Windows 7 compiled binaries they want to contribute?

This will help SciDB adoption immensely.

What is the status of that port?

Thank you

Rich

As far as I knew, the scidb was running on linux-core based operation system.

Hello,
Yes currently we run on Linux - RHEL / Centos and Ubuntu. Some folks have gotten the software to run on Mac OS X as well.
We use a few POSIX system calls, things like pthread_, sem_,…
We also use bison/flex, postgres, protobuf, log4cxx, and sometimes things like swig.

It looks like all of these tools have windows versions, but the process of porting would not be trivial. It may take a couple weeks to get SciDB to fully built and functional.

So the Windows port is currently not on our roadmap for the immediate future. We believe most users will come from Unix-like systems. Users that don’t have an Ubuntu machine available are invited to try out scidb inside of something like VirtualBox.

Of course, if a lot of users ask us for Windows - we’ll make it higher priority.
Regards,

• Alex Poliakov

Hi,

I have win7 x64 binaries and I use them only for development.

I did not check all SciDB tests yet, but small part of them is passing.
Also there are some issues with plugins and possible with storage (and with many other things that I didn’t use).

So, Windows version is possible but isn’t available yet.
We should talk about this feature with our team first.

• Egor Pugin

Hi Egor,

if you want help with windows tests/seeing what works/doesnt/and porting - I would be interested in helping.

I’m currently assessing on Ubuntu - but long term interested in Ubuntu and Windows support.

best

Phillip

Hi

Most of the companies provide MS Windows based systems for their engineers.
As an ‘R’ user, I feel that most of the R users use windows based systems.
So I would suggest that it would be wise to release the Windows 7 binaries along with the Linux based ones.
As Rich pointed out, it “will help SciDB adoption immensely.”

Cheers
Sai

Agree with Sai guys

Really like SciDB and think it is the best out there for my stuff, but just find the whole Linux / Cloud / Virtual Box side a hurdle (technically and regulatory) - despite Brian’s incrediable help.

My systems are all windows based (Bloomberg / Excel / Trading Software) and I have just got to stay ‘this side’ (dark side?)

Regards

Glenn

This does not directly address your point, but the scidb package for R available on CRAN and Github installs and runs fine on Windows machines. You can talk to SciDB (running on a Linux box) from your Windows machine using the R package. Ditto for Python.

Just FYI…

Guys … platform support is a really big issue for us. And …

We’re totally committed to making sure that everything we release is of the highest possible quality. Each additional platform we port to…and this means Linux platforms too…increases our QA, docs and release engineering burden. It’s possible to get things to compile on some pretty remote platforms. Look upthread and you’ll see we have compiled on platforms like MacOS and Windows (although this does require the application of some pretty heavy duty beatings). The problem is it would take us (say) about 3 months of effort to get the QA, docs and whatnot up to the standard we expect. And meanwhile, our efforts to get new features tested, and the reliability / robustness engineering we need to do, would suffer.

We’re making a deliberate, mindful, strategic decision here. We’re prioritizing features, quality, and enterprise readiness over availability on a broad range of platforms. As we mature, of course, we’ll add more platforms.

Also … what Bryan said. Although the SciDB “core” runs on Ubuntu / CentOS, there’s no reason you can’t deploy your ‘R’ client or your Python code or your Java-via-JDBC clients on Windows.

Fair points Bryan and Plumber - thanks for the feedback guys

Point taken. Would it be possible to have a full complement of Virtual Boxes available for each release - (Ubuntu, Centos, RHEL ?)and stuck at larger sizes ? 100G (dynamic allocation) say (I worked out GPart but it was a struggle!)

Hope I am not the only bang out absolute Linux novice in the community - but suspect so (frowny face).

OR - another idea - more than happy to help write/guinee pig - a dummies line-for-line guide to install on Linux

My position is that for regulatory reasons (UK FCA) I have to understand my technical infrastructure completely, if implemented - the support of P4 and SciDB has been fantastic, but the guys (rightly so) pitch documentation at those familiar with Linux - a idiots line-for-line walk through would be brilliant

(01) Download Ubuntu Server…

glenn

Not having a Windows 7 or Windows 10 native implementation puts SciDB into the “Special Projects”, i.e., back burner projects for many people.

At a minimum a fully regression-tested Ubuntu kit should be provided on a pre-fabbed VMware machine. VirtualBox is okay too but it is just one more thing to install. Most companies have VMware on their infrastructure already, and VirtualBox may require special permission to install.

If you want mainstream adoption of SciDB… get it running well on Windows desktops / laptops. Many more people will start using it.

There hasn’t been an active discussion about this since I initiated the request back almost 4 years ago. Looks like not many people look at these forums.

Hey, great timing, I was just reading this earlier today:

Maybe Windows will run Linux before SciDB runs on Windows :grinning:

But to answer your question - Windows support is not part of the plan at the moment. We are about to release a new version of the SW and we’ll make sure to make a VMWare VM. ETA would be a week or so.

Where does this topic stand today?

No further thoughts on this?

I’m also interested in this on Windows 10

@trevski @Hawth

Our policy still remains the same.

You could run scidb on docker on Windows [1, 2] (you would eventually get a Unix docker in the process). But scidb on Docker is only recommended for testing and prototyping purposes.

Hello

Does anyone have a native Windows 7 compiled binaries they want to contribute? This will help SciDB adoption immensely.

Best Assignment Help Australia