Visualization?

Hi,

What are the recommended ways of visualizing SciDB arrays?

One way seems to be to pipe the output (in SciDB’s text format) to some script that would write a PNG (or similar) that I could then visualize. I’d rather not write such a script if it already exists. It seems like I should be able to use the python connector to do something similar, though the difficulties I had in building SciDB make me reluctant to attempt building the python connector.

Any suggestions?
-Daniel

[quote=“danielw”]Hi,
What are the recommended ways of visualizing SciDB arrays?
-Daniel[/quote]

Daniel,
If you like working in Python, as I do, I would recommend using the Python connector and storing your numerical data into python and plotting it with MatPlotLib, which makes it easy to plot an array as an image, as points, as an iso-surface, etc. If you know Matlab, you will find MatPlotLib easy to understand, because its meant to mimic the former’s plotting capability.

If you have Python and SWIG 2.0 installed, the Python connector should build automatically when SciDB builds. But you must have those two things installed before doing the CMake is done, not afterwards. If you are having trouble beyond that, feel free to correspond with me directly. [private email to Daniel being sent]

Good luck.

Ah. I see. I think I was looking for some sort of interactive explorer, like ncview for NetCDF files. I am okay with matplotlib, though. I think I played with it several years ago before deciding that it was simpler to script gnuplot for the purposes of the data I had.

[quote=“jmcq”]
If you have Python and SWIG 2.0 installed, the Python connector should build automatically when SciDB builds. But you must have those two things installed before doing the CMake is done, not afterwards.[/quote]
The system has SWIG 1.3.29 and Python 2.5.2 installed. I guess these were too old since I didn’t see any python modules built. At the moment, I’m unwilling to mess with the build system since it was a big hassle to hack around and manually specify paths to get SciDB built in the first place, but if I get desperate, I’ll try it.

Thanks for your help,
-Daniel