Unable to start scidb. Error #system:111

I’m currently trying to run the latest release of SciDB (14.8) on Ubuntu 12.04 set up as a VM on a Mac. I followed the installation video and am able to execute scidb.py initall and stopall, but I’m unable to start the server, and am getting a connection error whenever I try to run iQuery. Any suggestions as to how I can fix this? Thanks.

FATAL scidb.services.network null- Error #system:111 when connecting to localhost:1239 iQuery SystemException in file: src/network/BaseConnection.cpp function: connect line:260

This is my config file:

[cluster]
server-0=scidb-VirtualBox,1
install_root=/opt/scidb/14.8
metadata=/opt/scidb/14.8/share/scidb/meta.sql
pluginsdir=/opt/scidb/14.8/lib/scidb/plugins
logconf=/opt/scidb/14.8/share/scidb/log4cxx.properties
db_user=pguser
db_passwd=pguserpwd
base-port=1239
base-path=/home/scidb/scidb_data
redundancy=0
execution-threads=1
result-prefetch-threads=1
result-prefetch-queue-size=1
operator-threads=1

Your iquery error is simply what iquery tells the world when it can’t find a working SciDB instance to connect to. It’s kinda what you would expect.

Your config.ini looks a bit … advanced. I would start with something simple.

1. Don’t tamp down on the threading for your first installation. For now, leave things with the defaults.

2. I am a little concerned with the way you’re naming your physical node, and the way you’re configuring the servers. Here’s the config.ini setup I use for my basic setup.

[mydb1]
server-0=localhost,0
db_user=mydb
db_passwd=mydb
install_root=/Devel/trunk/stage/install
pluginsdir=/Devel/trunk/stage/install/lib/scidb/plugins
logconf=/Devel/trunk/stage/install/share/scidb/log1.properties
base-path=/Devel/trunk/stage/DB-mydb
base-port=1239
interface=eth0

For the server, use the “localhost” rather than “scidb-VirtualBox”. On my VirtualBox setup, the name you give the virtualbox isn’t something that seems to propagate to the name resolution services. If you type “hostname” at the prompt, I suspect you won’t see “scidb-VirtualBox” or something similar. What I see is “localhost.localdomain”.

And there’s a quirk in the way the instances are enumerated. Rather than “1”, use “0”. For “server-0”, the number provided specifies how many additional instances to initialize.

Let us know if this helps.

I tried using a simplified config file. I’m still getting the same error. The scidb server seems to start correctly though. Could it be an issue with postgresql?

OK. Let’s try to diagnose the problem. If SciDB can’t get connected to Postgres, it won’t come up. And the error is iquery reporting that it can’t fine anything on localhost:1239 to talk to it. ie. That there’s no SciDB engine there. . .

1. Let’s see if SciDB is indeed working …

Try looking for a process with a name like “scidb”. That’s something like “ps -eaf | grep -i scidb”. You should see a SciDB process, and a “watchdog” process, for each of the SciDB instances you’ve started (there should be only 1 or each, if you’ve set the server-0 to “,0”).

1. In the base-dir, SciDB dumps a number of log files. The most important one is scidb.log. The others are logs that yield the stderr and stdour streams the engine itself emits during it’s operation (we need to capture these streams as it’s not uncommon for other processes or non-scidb code to dump message to stderr or stdout).

Can you show us what’s going on in those files?

Hello,

Trying to install SciDB 14.12 on Ubuntu 14.04, running into a similar error. Can you point me to what I need to change for SciDB being able to connect to PostgreSQL

• Restarting PostgreSQL 9.3 database server [ OK ]
    single_server is the result
    Deleting single_server…
    DROP DATABASE
    UPDATE 1
    GRANT
    Sample of connection string:
    host=localhost port=5432 dbname=single_server user=scidb_pg_user password=scidb_pg_user_pasw
    /opt/scidb/14.12/bin/scidb.py: ERROR: ssh failure: server=localhost port=22 [Errno 111] Connection