Ubuntu 12.04?

Hi, fellow SciDB-ers
Are there any issues with upgrading to Ubuntu 12.04?

We had SciDB running on 11.04. For reasons unclear to me they decided to upgrade to 12.04. Are there any issues I should know about, and should I tie the sysadmins up with duckt tape to prevent the upgrade?

A quick response is appreciated. Just say

(o) “yes, go ahead, make their day,”
(o) “no, don’t do it! start unraveling the tape!..”

Many thanks, George

Hey George,

I just upgraded my dev box to 12.4 myself. No, no duct tape should be necessary. You may run into some path issues and some issues with Postgres versioning. Both can be fixed fairly easily.

Please give my best regards to your admins!

Thanks!

Meawhile I rebuilt from sources on 12.04. There were minor things, perhaps I can share if you want to update your “build from sources” guide…

Cheers, George

Hi George,

I also tried to install the latest release version on Ubuntu 12.04. Just a quick question. Have you ever met a problem as follows?

make[2]: *** No rule to make target /usr/lib/libboost_system-mt.so', needed bybin/libscidbclient.so’. Stop.
make[1]: *** [src/capi/CMakeFiles/scidbclient.dir/all] Error 2

It seems that there is something wrong with the generated Makefile. Is there any idea to make some correction?

Many thanks!

-Yi

I believe I played around with installing different versions of libboost. I did journal what I did, but it’s not on my desk. I’ll let you know in a day what I had to do… It wasn’t just libboost…

Give me a day or so…
George