Shim doesn't start: cannot load libscidbclient.so libraries

I’ve downloaded and installed shim using the deb package (ubuntu_14.04_shim_15.7_amd64.deb) following the guide at github.com/paradigm4/shim#non-d … stallation, but I cannot start it.

Here is the partial log from terminal when I execute the “sudo gdebi ubuntu_14.04_shim_15.7_amd64.deb” command (Shim gets correctly installed in /opt/scidb/15.7/bin/shim but it cannot start):

... Starting shim /opt/scidb/15.7/bin/shim: error while loading shared libraries: libscidbclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory dpkg: error processing package shim (--install): subprocess installed post-installation script returned error exit status 127 Processing triggers for man-db (2.6.7.1-1ubuntu1) ... Processing triggers for ureadahead (0.100.0-16) ... Errors were encountered while processing: shim

In the Shim Notes (github.com/paradigm4/shim#notes) I’ve read: “Note: libscidbclient.so and SciDB’s boost libraries must be in shim’s library path. This may entail setting LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/scidb//lib:/opt/scidb//3rdparty/boost/lib before running shim. You don’t have to worry about that if you install and run shim as a service” but I’ve noticed there is no /opt/scidb/15.7/lib folder. Could be this the problem?

I’ve tried to explicitly add “LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/scidb//lib:/opt/scidb//3rdparty/boost/lib” to my ~/.bashrc file, save it, close the Terminal and check it was fine with “echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH” but I have the same error if I try to start Shim (sudo /opt/scidb/15.7/bin/shim).

Any kind of help would be very much appreciated!

No help at all?

Hi,

Yeah how did you install scidb? Where is SciDB running out of? Did you build from source?
You may need to find where libscidbclient.so is and add that to LD_LIBRARY_PATH

I’ve compiled SciDB from source following the “Build Instructions” at http://forum.paradigm4.com/t/release-15-7/843 step by step.
Can you please reformulate your question “Where is SciDB running out of?”

libscidbclient.so appears in:
/home/scidb/scidb/scidbtrunk/stage/install/lib/
/home/scidb/scidb/scidbtrunk/stage/build/bin/

I’ve added both to the LD_LIBRARY_PATH with no luck, I still have the error “/opt/scidb/15.7/bin/shim: error while loading shared libraries: libscidbclient.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory”

Hi,

A late answer, but hopefully helps others. If LD_LIBRARY_PATH does not work, you can put a symbolic link to libscidbclient.so in the same directory containing the shim binary. For example, in your case run sudo ln -s /home/scidb/scidb/scidbtrunk/stage/install/lib/libscidbclient.so /opt/scidb/15.7/bin/libscidbclient.so