Mac OS X Support

This one has been requested several times.

With the 0.75 release, there are some options:
First you can use Virtual Box (www.virtualbox.org) to create and run a virtual instance of Ubuntu on your mac.
You can then install SciDB onto that instance. It’s a bit slower but generally gets the job done.

You can also mess around with the source, get all the packages required for Mac OS and, after a couple of days of hacking you can get it to build and run on the Mac natively. I’ve heard it can be done and there are a few small source changes; most of the headache has to do with getting all the required packages to run on the Mac.

We’ll see what we can do to improve this in future releases.

Your comments, feedback, instructions are most welcome here.

[quote]With the 0.75 release, there are some options: First you can use Virtual Box (www.virtualbox.org) to create and run a virtual instance of Ubuntu on your mac. You can then install SciDB onto that instance. It’s a bit slower but generally gets the job done.
[/quote]

The above is not really a viable option – someone who runs Mac OS X does that because, ostensibly, that person wants to run Mac OS X only and not Ubuntu or some other OS. Besides, as noted in my off-forum correspondence, I use a cluster of Mac OS X servers (Xserves) and use Xgrid. This is a completely Mac OS X infrastructure with little room for Virtual Box or other OSes.

I would be happy to try out the above provided I have some of the notes on the “few small source changes.” If someone has done the above, I would love to hear from them.

anybody went ahead with this?

[quote=“apoliakov”]You can also mess around with the source, get all the packages required for Mac OS and, after a couple of days of hacking you can get it to build and run on the Mac natively. I’ve heard it can be done and there are a few small source changes; most of the headache has to do with getting all the required packages to run on the Mac.
[/quote]

That’s should’t be too hard nowadays. I haven’t yet looked at the requirements/dependencies yet but I can imagine that getting SciDB into MacPorts should be feasible…

Best,
Oliver