Load data from user home directory

Hello,

I’m working through the guide (13.1) and would like to load files from my home directory, but load(‘file’) claims that ‘file’ does not exist.

pyrope scidb $ pwd /home/rmason/test/scidb pyrope scidb $ ls -l total 8 -rw-r--r-- 1 rmason rmason 78 Mar 9 14:41 datafile.scidb -rw-r--r-- 1 rmason rmason 123 Mar 10 12:25 m4x4_missing.txt pyrope scidb $ iquery AQL% set lang afl; AFL% load(m4x4_missing, '/home/rmason/test/scidb/m4x4_missing.txt'); UserQueryException in file: src/query/ops/input/LogicalInput.cpp function: inferSchema line: 174 Error id: scidb::SCIDB_SE_INFER_SCHEMA::SCIDB_LE_FILE_NOT_FOUND Error description: Error during schema inferring. File '/home/rmason/test/scidb/m4x4_missing.txt' not found. load(m4x4_missing, '/home/rmason/test/scidb/m4x4_missing.txt') ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ Failed query id: 1100874765392

If I copy the file to /tmp, I can load it without problems.

Is there something I must do to enable file loading from an arbitrary directory?

Thanks,
Roger

Strange.

No, there should not be anything special you need to do. Is this a permissions issue maybe? Are you running scidb as a different user who cannot view contents of /home/rmason/ ?

Thanks for your reply.

I start scidb as the scidb user, according to the instructions in the manual. The database is in /home/scidb/.
All work with the db is carried out by rmason, in /home/rmason.

Roger

So can you try:

sudo su scidb
cat /home/rmason/test/scidb/m4x4_missing.txt

See if that works. Since the scidb executable is started by user scidb it inherits permissions for that user. And it’s very possible that that user cannot access /home/rmason

sudo su scidb
[scidb@cryptoperthite Database]$ cat /home/rmason/test/scidb/m4x4_empty.scidb
cat: /home/rmason/test/scidb/m4x4_empty.scidb: Permission denied

Thanks,
Roger