JDBC unknown network message type: 25955

Hello,

I compiled and ran the JDBC example at

This works just fine. This is the example described in the user guide. I made one modification to the select statement in st.executeQuery. I added an “into A” with the idea that I would create and store the array A. This select statement works fine with iquery. Instead with JDBC I have the following error:

Actually, I additionaly tried with execute a simply copy, that is,

whereupon with the same connection I displayed

which of course listed my arrays including new_array. When I checked with iquery, new_array was not present.

I assume that I am making a simple conceptual error somewhere but after examing a little more closely the API, I cannot determine my error and so need some assistance.

By the way, I am using a simple two cluster Ubuntu 12.04.4 system. I compiled the iquery client on Ubuntu 14.04 where I test JDBC. I am using Java 6.

Thanks in advance,
Marcus D. Gabriel

You metioned two issues.

The first issue is an ‘unknown message type’ error. You probably built scidb4j.jar yourself from the SciDB 14.3 source code? As the README file at scidb.org/HTMLmanual/14.3/scidb_ug/ch11s01.html), the bug should not occur. If this is not the case please let us know.

The second issue is that array B failed to be created. The reason is that you did not commit your transaction. After you execute the “select * into B…” query, if you add conn.commit(), you should be all set.

Thank you for the reply and the answer conn.commit(). I knew that I was missing something simple.

You probably built scidb4j.jar yourself from the SciDB 14.3 source code?

This is correct.

If you simply download the scidb4j.jar … the bug should not occur. If this is not the case please let us know.

I downloaded and tested scidb4j-14.3-7563-1.tar with JDBCExample.java which yielded the following error:

I only modified JDBCExample.java so that I could pass the hostname for the coordinator on the command line. This works with the version that I compile.

Adding “into A” and “conn.commit()” yields the previously mentioned error with the compiled version and the above error with the downloaded versoin.

We are going to cut a SciDB 14.7 release in less than a week.
Would it be possible for you to forget about the old 14.3 release and move on to the new release?

Would it be possible for you to forget about the old 14.3 release and move on to the new release?

Absolutely.

Thank you for your patience!
And please do let us know if there are any problems with the new 14.7 release.
The original JDBC developers have left the company. I picked up the ‘ownership’ but have not spent a lot of time on it yet. One thing I’m thinking is to make it possible to compile our SciDB-JDBC code using Java 7 (right now it only can be compiled with Java 6). I was somewhat surprised Java does not provide backward compatibility here.

FYI: The JDBC example works for me with 14.7. Thanks for the help.