Install on Ubuntu 10.10

I had an easy time installing SciDB on a fresh Ubuntu (10.10) download The one bit in the recipe from trac.scidb.org/wiki/PrivateArea/Ubuntu10 that could be updated is that libprotobuf is now up to libprotobuf6 (with the default apt-get config).

Thank you, we updated the instructions. Glad to you hear you installed it easily!

I have followed the following steps for installation on Ubuntu 10.10:-

tar xvfz scidb-0.7.5.1557.tgz
cd scidb-0.7.5.1557
sudo apt-get update
sudo apt-get install -y build-essential cmake libboost1.40-all-dev
postgresql-8.4 libpqxx-3.0 libpqxx3-dev libprotobuf6 libprotobuf-dev
protobuf-compiler doxygen flex bison libxerces-c-dev libxerces-c3.1
liblog4cxx10 liblog4cxx10-dev libcppunit-1.12-1 libcppunit-dev
libbz2-dev postgresql-contrib libconfig++8 libconfig++8-dev
libconfig8-dev subversion
cmake .
make
sudo make install

After that I edited the /opt/scidb-0.7.5/etc/config.ini file and postgres was running too.
After that when I gave “scidb-0.7.5 init test1” script on the terminal it returned “scidb-0.7.5: command not found”

scidb-0.7.5 is a wrapper script that launches scidb. You may have to add this to your path:

export PATH=/opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin:/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb:$PATH
export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/opt/scidb-0.7.5/lib:$LD_LIBRARY_PATH

Suchi

Thanks! But still I am getting an error:- IOError: [Errno 19] No such device

root@ubuntu:~# scidb-0.7.5 init test1
/opt/scidb-0.7.5/etc/config.ini test1 init
Parsing test1 section.
{‘install_root’: ‘/opt/scidb-0.7.5’, ‘db_name’: ‘test1’, ‘pluginsdir’: ‘/opt/scidb-0.7.5/lib/scidb/plugins’, ‘master_ip’: ‘10.1.3.1’, ‘db_passwd’: ‘scidb_passwd1’, ‘db_user’: ‘scidb_user1’, ‘master_data_dir’: ‘/mnt/master’, ‘master_port’: ‘1239’, ‘interface’: ‘eth1’, ‘logconf’: ‘/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb/log4cxx.properties’, ‘metadata’: ‘/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb/meta.sql’}
Cleaning up old logs and storage files.
Reinitializing and registering local scidb instance/storage.

sudo privileges are required to configure the postgres database.

host=10.1.3.1 port=5432 dbname=test1 user=scidb_user1 password=scidb_passwd1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin/scidb.py”, line 205, in
init()
File “/opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin/scidb.py”, line 118, in init
p = subprocess.Popen([binpath + “/scidb”, “-p”, d.get(‘master_port’), “-r”, “-i”, get_ip_address(d.get(‘interface’)),
File “/opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin/scidb.py”, line 86, in get_ip_address
return socket.inet_ntoa(fcntl.ioctl(s.fileno(), 0x8915, struct.pack(‘256s’, ifname[:15]))[20:24])
IOError: [Errno 19] No such device

-Akhil

Hello, Akhil
From the error message, it looks like your opt/scidb-0.7.5/etc/config.ini file refers to a network interface that does not exist. Is that possible? I would start with that file…

I’ve recently gone through the exercise of setting up scidb for a single node and here are the steps I followed. Maybe these will help you?

I am running Ubuntu 10.10 and a single-node configuration.

First setup postgres:
postgres@scalpel:/home/apoliakov/workspace/scidb_075$ /opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin/scidb-prepare-db.sh
Enter catalog owner name: scidb_user1
Create user scidb_user1? (y/n): y
Enter password for new role: password
Enter it again: password
Catalog database name: test1
UPDATE 1
GRANT
Do you want create catalog structure now? (y/n): y

Then create a config.ini file. This is mine. It's for one node:
apoliakov@scalpel:/opt/scidb-0.7.5/etc$ cat config.ini
[test1]
master_ip=127.0.0.1
db_user=scidb_user1
db_passwd=password
install_root=/opt/scidb-0.7.5
metadata=/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb/meta.sql
pluginsdir=/opt/scidb-0.7.5/lib/scidb/plugins
logconf=/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb/log4cxx.properties
master_data_dir=/home/apoliakov/test_data
master_port=1239
interface=eth0

You can then init the system like so:
apoliakov@scalpel:/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb$ ./scidb-0.7.5 init test1

And start it like so:
apoliakov@scalpel:/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb$ ./scidb-0.7.5 start test1

After I performed these steps, I could use "iquery" to run queries on the system.

Maybe these steps can help? Please keep us informed of your progress.

the problem was with config.ini file…its working fine now! thanks!

[quote=“akhil760”]Thanks! But still I am getting an error:- IOError: [Errno 19] No such device

root@ubuntu:~# scidb-0.7.5 init test1
/opt/scidb-0.7.5/etc/config.ini test1 init
Parsing test1 section.
{‘install_root’: ‘/opt/scidb-0.7.5’, ‘db_name’: ‘test1’, ‘pluginsdir’: ‘/opt/scidb-0.7.5/lib/scidb/plugins’, ‘master_ip’: ‘10.1.3.1’, ‘db_passwd’: ‘scidb_passwd1’, ‘db_user’: ‘scidb_user1’, ‘master_data_dir’: ‘/mnt/master’, ‘master_port’: ‘1239’, ‘interface’: ‘eth1’, ‘logconf’: ‘/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb/log4cxx.properties’, ‘metadata’: ‘/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb/meta.sql’}
Cleaning up old logs and storage files.
Reinitializing and registering local scidb instance/storage.

sudo privileges are required to configure the postgres database.

host=10.1.3.1 port=5432 dbname=test1 user=scidb_user1 password=scidb_passwd1
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin/scidb.py”, line 205, in
init()
File “/opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin/scidb.py”, line 118, in init
p = subprocess.Popen([binpath + “/scidb”, “-p”, d.get(‘master_port’), “-r”, “-i”, get_ip_address(d.get(‘interface’)),
File “/opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin/scidb.py”, line 86, in get_ip_address
return socket.inet_ntoa(fcntl.ioctl(s.fileno(), 0x8915, struct.pack(‘256s’, ifname[:15]))[20:24])
IOError: [Errno 19] No such device

-Akhil[/quote]
hi,
I met some problems the same with you ,as follow:

scidb-0.7.5 init test1 /opt/scidb-0.7.5/etc/config.ini test1 init Parsing test1 section. {'install_root': '/opt/scidb-0.7.5', 'db_name': 'test1', 'pluginsdir': '/opt/scidb-0.7.5/lib/scidb/plugins', 'master_ip': '10.248.211.239', 'db_passwd': 'scidb_passwd1', 'db_user': 'scidb_user1', 'master_data_dir': '/mnt/master', 'master_port': '1239', 'interface': 'eth1', 'logconf': '/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb/log4cxx.properties', 'metadata': '/opt/scidb-0.7.5/share/scidb/meta.sql'} Traceback (most recent call last): File "/opt/scidb-0.7.5/bin/scidb.py", line 196, in <module> os.chdir(spath) OSError: [Errno 2] No such file or directory: '/mnt/master'
can anybody help me?

Sara

Hello,
The error message means that scidb is looking for the directory ‘/mnt/master’ and it does not exist on your system.
It looks like you need to edit your config.ini file to make sure all the paths are right.
The /mnt/master entry probably comes from this line that’s in our instructions.

master_data_dir=/mnt/master

I recommend creating a directory for scidb data (some path that works for you) and changing this field to point to that directory.
For reference, there’s one config.ini file example upstream in this thread.

Let me know if you have more problems…

[quote=“apoliakov”]Hello,
The error message means that scidb is looking for the directory ‘/mnt/master’ and it does not exist on your system.
It looks like you need to edit your config.ini file to make sure all the paths are right.
The /mnt/master entry probably comes from this line that’s in our instructions.

master_data_dir=/mnt/master

I recommend creating a directory for scidb data (some path that works for you) and changing this field to point to that directory.
For reference, there’s one config.ini file example upstream in this thread.

Let me know if you have more problems…[/quote]
hi,
I finally successfully installed the scidb and can use the iquery command. The solution were that I created a new directory , modified the master_ip and interface…
Thank you and Akhil ~~~

-Sara

I tried to access the instructions, but I don’t seem to have access to the trac wiki with my forum username and password. Am I looking in the right place?

Thanks