Initialisation failure

Hi

I’m trying to get SciDB up and running on a RedHat64 VM. I think that I’ve got almost everything installed and configured but at the end, when, as user scidb, I run the command

I get the response

[code]checking (server 0 (localhost) local instance 0) …
Found 0 scidb processes
This will delete all data and reinitialize storage [n]|y: y
init(server 0 (localhost) local instance 0)
Initializing local scidb instance/storage.

Cleaning up old logs and storage files.
Removing data directory /home/scidb/DB-SingleInstance/000/0 on server 0 (localhost), local instance 0
Abnormal return code: 1
error in command /opt/scidb/13.3/bin/scidb --register -p 1239 --initialize -i localhost -s /home/scidb/DB-SingleInstance/000/0/storage.cfg -l /opt/scidb/13.3/share/scidb/log4cxx.properties --rle-chunk-format=True -c host=localhost port=5432 dbname=cluster1 user=postgres password=DataBase:
Check logs in init-stderr.log init-stdout.log[/code]

Listing the contents of /home/scidb/DB-SingleInstance/000/0/scidb.log the log ends with the information

2013-06-14 11:47:05,828 [0x7fe5575b9840] [DEBUG]: Created temp directory /home/scidb/DB-SingleInstance/000/0/tmp/ 2013-06-14 11:47:05,843 [0x7fe5575b9840] [ERROR]: System catalog connection failed: SystemException in file: src/system/catalog/SystemCatalog.cpp function: connect line: 1966 Error id: scidb::SCIDB_SE_SYSCAT::SCIDB_LE_CANT_CONNECT_PG Error description: System catalog error. Cannot connect to PostgreSQL catalog: 'FATAL: Ident authentication failed for user "postgres"

but the same log earlier reports

which gives the correct username/password.

I’m completely stumped, not even sure if this is a Postgres issue or a SciDB issue. Any pointers or suggestions would be very welcome at this stage …

Hi Mark,

Sorry about the trouble. Take a look at the User Guide section 2.5.3 - System Catalog Setup. There is a sample pg_hba.conf file provided. It could be that your network/subnet addresses are different. Also consider changing ‘md5’ in the example to ‘trust’ as that sometimes resolves issues. Let me know if that helps.

• Alex Poliakov

Thanks Alix

Your answer pointed me in the right direction, I now seem to have a SciDB up and running.

Regards

Mark