How to use aliasing with AFL?

I want to cross_join two arrays A, B which have same name of dimensions, defined as

A: <cntid:uint64 NULL DEFAULT null> [hid=0:,1000000,0,hid_2=0:,1000000,0]’,true
B: <cntid:uint64 NULL DEFAULT null> [hid=0:*,1000000,0]’,true

So cross_join(A,B,hid_2,hid) where hid_2 is from array A and hid is from B.

Now it is obvious that hid is from array B, yet I get the "Error description: Query syntax error. Dimension ‘hid’ is ambiguous."
Agreed hid is in array A, but documentation says “cross_join(left_array,right_array,left_dim1,right_dim1,…)”

Why is this so? Can I alias these arrays some how as in AQL: “select * into TEMP from A as a JOIN B as b on a.hid_2 = b.hid”

Makes me think, AQL semantics are neat in this case, but AFL is not.
For AFL, I have been materializing the result of cross_join(A,B) and then filtering to do hid_2 = hid_3 where hid_3 belongs to B.
This is not efficient.

I am aware of attribute rename. Is there a dimension rename or am I doing something wrong?

Also orthogonal question: is there any difference between AFL and AQL (semantics and performance-wise) or are they two sides of the same coin? When should one use one over the other?

Thanks much in advance!!

Indeed it is quirky. More quirky than it needs to be. We’re in the process of overhauling the language.

cross_join( A, B, A.hid_2, B.hid)

Or

cross_join( A as array1, B as array2, array1.hid_2, array2.hid)

AFL tends to be a lot more precise. AQL semantics are translated into AFL but at the moment the translations are not very efficient. The most user-friendly way to program SciDB at the moment is SciDB-R and SciDB-Py. The fastest and most precise is AFL.
To do dimension-rename, see the documentation for cast().