Error starting scidb version 14.12 on Ubuntu 14.04

Hello list,
I am trying to run scidb on an Ubuntu 14.04 Linux machine. This is currently a cluster of one machine only.

The first issue I ran into was the cluster_install script. It requires ssh login for the root user, which run contrary to our company security rules. I got an exception for the time being, but hopefully, this will be fixed in the future.

After installing, I tried:
scidb.py -v startall scidb_cluster
However, I got the following error:
2015-02-13 17:25:20,983 [0x7f11674f4800] [ERROR]: System catalog connection failed: SystemException in file: src/system/catalog/SystemCatalog.cpp function: connect line: 1894
Error id: scidb::SCIDB_SE_SYSCAT::SCIDB_LE_CANT_CONNECT_PG
Error description: System catalog error. Cannot connect to PostgreSQL catalog: ‘invalid connection option “'host”
’.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Ohad.

Sorry - cluster install script must have root access for certan operations. In your case, the installer did not initialize scidb Postgres catalog. During the installation, cluster installer creates a special user for interacting with the Postgres database. Then it attempts to initialize the catalog. Both of these operations may require root-level access to the machine. Without these actions done, the system will not be able to start.

What is missing in your case is the successful completion of init_syscat command (scidb.py).

I have some problems too , I don’t how to install SciDB in Ubuntu 14.04…

Thanks for all the replies.

I found that the install script has to have password-less root access to all of the machines in the cluster, and that the data directories must all be created in advance. Having done that, the install and start scripts largely work.

It would be much nicer if the install script did not require ssh as root. An ssh configuration that allows root ssh is not secure enough for our cloud settings. The problem is that once an attacker gains access to machine X as root, she can then become root on other machines using ssh.

Thanks,
Ohad.

pls what are the steps scidb version 14.12 on Ubuntu 14.04
i tried many times but i failed

[quote=“dawanga”]pls what are the steps scidb version 14.12 on Ubuntu 14.04
i tried many times but i failed[/quote]

Please see viewtopic.php?f=14&t=1526 for steps to install SciDB 14.12.
In case of any difficulties, please post a new topic :smile:

Thanks.

[quote=“orodeh”]Thanks for all the replies.

I found that the install script has to have password-less root access to all of the machines in the cluster, and that the data directories must all be created in advance. Having done that, the install and start scripts largely work.

It would be much nicer if the install script did not require ssh as root. An ssh configuration that allows root ssh is not secure enough for our cloud settings. The problem is that once an attacker gains access to machine X as root, she can then become root on other machines using ssh.

Thanks,
Ohad.[/quote]

Hi Ohad,

We are working on it and the changes will reflect in the next release.

Thanks.