CentOS vs Ubuntu

Even though there are instructions for both Ubuntu and CentOS I feel that CentOS is the primary development system for SciDB. Am I correct?

Also, what are the specific versions of the OS’s supported by SciDB?

I am having a tough time installing SciDB (non cluster) on Ubuntu 12.10 box.

Thanks a lot!

Our primary internal development happens on CentOS/RHEL. But Ubuntu is also fully tested and supported.

We support the following OS versions (x86_64/a.k.a. amd_64 architecture only):

Ubuntu 12.04
CentOS 6.x
RHEL 6.x

[quote=“blewis”]…Our primary internal development happens on CentOS/RHEL. But Ubuntu is also fully tested and supported.
We support the following OS versions (x86_64/a.k.a. amd_64 architecture only):
…[/quote]

Ah! I am on x86_64 so that is good. But I started with 12.10 and upgraded to 13.10 thinking that I will get Boost 1.54 since cmake just does not find Boost for some reason. I feel like an idiot right now. I guess I will just downgrade to 12.04. What do you think?

Thanks for your response. I really appreciate your help.

I was able to get Boost to work with the step -

But the next step (./run.py make -j4) fails and I do not understand what is possibly wrong -

Linking CXX shared library ../../bin/plugins/libmisc.so
[ 11%] Built target misc
make: *** [all] Error 2
./run.py: ERROR: Command make failed: Abnormal return code: 2 on command ['/usr/bin/make', '-j4']
Make sure commands setup,make,install,start are performed (in that order) before stop,stopForce,tests

I tried make without “-j4” and it failed at around 55%

make[2]: *** [src/query/ops/CMakeFiles/ops_lib.dir/uniq/PhysicalUniq.cpp.o] Error 1 make[1]: *** [src/query/ops/CMakeFiles/ops_lib.dir/all] Error 2 make: *** [all] Error 2 ./run.py: ERROR: Command make failed: Abnormal return code: 2 on command ['/usr/bin/make', '-j1'] Make sure commands setup,make,install,start are performed (in that order) before stop,stopForce,tests

I am not sure what I am doing wrong.

I am on Ubuntu 13.10. amd_64. I have 16GB of RAM on the system.

Hi amanjeev,

I replied to your other thread, but for completeness, I will mention again that we only support Ubuntu up to version 12.04